Monday, January 25, 2016

It's Time To Begin Preparing 
For Our Annual Art Show!

Art Matters.  To help reinforce this idea, I do an Art Show night.  Luckily, I have an awesome P.E. teacher and PTO that are willing to work together to make this event a success.  

Here's how it all happens.  Weeks in advance, I plan a different project for each grade level to complete for exhibit on the night of the event.  While I'm focusing and working on that, PTO is busy planning their end, which usually includes a pizza dinner fundraiser.  Our PE teacher is also busy working with the kids during PE class, teaching them a specific set of skills she wants to showcase that evening.

I work with a company, Artome', that mats and frames our art for the special night.  I send home flyers, announce the event via facebook, phone blast, and even use our marquee to promote the night.  Our PTO our PE teacher also promote the event, via flyers, monthly newsletters, etc.  

The BIG night!  It all comes together.  It's so cool to be involved in this community effort.  I have to say that I am fortunate to have a very committed and caring team that I work with here at Green Valley Elementary.  The librarian helps with sales that night, the music teacher helps kids and parents locate their art, and I couldn't imagine the event would be successful without the help of our PE/PTO people. Combining this effort helps to bring in so many more people that night.

Artome' arrives a few hours before the event and sets up the exhibit.  This is a HUGE help for me. Volunteers begin to arrive and I orient them to the process.  Doors open around 5:00 and families begin to arrive.  They can purchase dinner and browse the school to see some of the art projects we have been working on.  I try to make sure to have a work of art hung up for every child in the school.  They can come by the library and purchase their framed masterpiece from 5:00-6:00.  At 6:00, we shut down the art sale so that it doesn't distract from the PE Demonstration.  After the Demo, parents can come by to pick up art if they didn't get a chance before.

After the event. Artome' takes down the exhibit.  WOW!  We get everything put back in it's place. I make a point to thank everyone involved.  It does take a good part of the "village" to pull this off.  Loose ends are tied up and we move on to the next big event---whatever that might be.

Date, times, etc. This year's event is March 15, doors open at 5:00. Dinner is served at 5:00.  Art is available for purchase in the library from 5:00-6:00, and a few minutes following the PE Demo. Framed art is $25.00.  Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add comment: